Managing Viasat Voice during Service Calls Job Aid
This Job Aid covers:
This Job Aid supports all audiences.
When the Technician arrives at a Customer site for a Service Call and the customer has installed the Viasat Voice Adapter, the following steps are required.
Note: Always remove the adapter from the modem before any repair activity.
Power-down the Viasat Voice Adapter
Disconnect the adapter RJ45 cable currently connected to the Viasat Modem.
- If there are phone(s) connected to the adapter, validate they are connected and, if necessary, have the Customer power them down.
- If there is a Router connected to the adapter, have the Customer power it down.
- If there are computers connected to the Router, have the Customer power them down.
Connect the Technician Computer (Laptop/tablet) to the Modem
Start the Standard Repair Process
Validate the repair is complete and service is restored.
On the Technician Computer, issue an “ipconfig /release” command and disconnect the RJ45 cable currently connected to the Viasat Modem.
Power down the Modem.
Reconnect the ATA RJ45 cable to the Viasat Modem
- If there are phone(s), validate they are connected and, if necessary, unpowered.
- If there is a Router connected to the adapter, validate that is unpowered.
- If there are computers connected to the Router, validate they are unpowered
Power up the Modem and wait for Modem Lock
- After Modem Lock is successful, power up the adapter, wait for Power to display solid green, then the Run LED light up flashes once, and goes solid green. Finally, the WAN LED displays solid orange for 5 seconds and then flashes. Once Run LED turns sold green, Wan goes from flashing to solid.
- After the adapter is powered, power up the phone(s), if necessary. Validate that the Phone 1 and/or Phone 2 LED flash once and go solid orange. Next, have the Customer try to make a phone call.
Note: If this fails, this is an adapter failure; have the Customer call the Customer Care team for support.
After the adapter is powered, have the Customer power up the Router and wait for the Router to complete power up.
- LAN connected – the adapter LED begins flashing in unison along with WAN LED.
- Handset has dial tone
- Computer has internet connection
After the Router is powered, validate the final adapter LED display (below) and have the Customer power on a computer attached to the Router. After the computer powers up completely, have the Customer try to reach the Internet.
Final ATA LED display:
- Power: Solid green
- Run: Solid green
- WAN: Flashing orange with activity
- LAN: Flashing orange with activity
- VOIP: Solid green
- If phone attached: Solid green
- If no phone attached: blank
If this fails:
- Have the Customer power down the computer
- Disconnect the Router RJ 45 cable from the adapter LAN port
- Attach the computer Ethernet RJ45 to the adapter LAN port
- Power up the computer
- Have the Customer try to reach the Internet
- If this is successful, this is a Router failure; the Customer needs to call the Router Manufacture for Support
- If this is not successful, this is an adapter failure; have the Customer call into the Customer Care team for support.